Thursday, September 9, 2010

Our Son, Lio Gamaliel

2008 comes and we yearned for another baby.  It was a joy to find out that I was pregnant for the second time.  But my pregnancy was uncomfortable.  At the end of the first trimester, I already felt heavy.  It seemed that the baby want to come out.  I felt that as my baby grow in my womb.  Soon we found out...  It's a BOY!!!!  He's jumpy inside!  One unexpected day, I felt a sharp pain at my womb.  I felt that already before I slept.  I felt so uneasy already and I can't concentrate.  I went to the comfort room and I saw blood spots at my underwear.  It's scary because I know that to bleed during pregnancy is not normal.  When my husband came, we immediately went to the Doctor.  My OB Physician said my cervix was still closed.  I need ultrasound to determine what's the cause of the bleed during pregnancy, my pregnancy.  My baby was still on his 35th week and he needed at least 2-3 weeks before birth.

Ultrasound Result:    My placenta is abrupting on each side.

It is abruptio placenta or placenta abruptio as the cause of the bleed of pregnancy which occured.  Not all bleed during pregnancy is caused by placenta abruptio.  In my situation, it was the cause.

Abruptio placentae definition
Abruptio placentae is the disengagement of the placenta from the uterus sooner than expected due date of birth.

Abruptio placentae signs and symptoms
Mild to moderate bleeding and lower abdominal discomfort or pain are the most common abruptio placentae signs and symptoms.  And these are the abruptio placentae signs and symptoms which I exactly experienced.

I was also looking for reason why it happened to me.  I formulated my abruptio placenta pathophysiology.
The causes of abruptio placentae is really unknown.  But there can be factors which might predisposed this, such as:  trauma which might have resulted from accident or physical abuse;  many children - more than 5 (multiparity), short umbilical cord, nutrition deficiency, cigarette smoking, advanced maternal age, high blood pressure, use of harmful drugs like cocaine, previous pregnancy experiencing abruptio placentae, infection, placenta attaching to the scar from previous surgery or uterine fibroid.

Now, my abruptio placentae pathophysiology: I had a previous surgery due to CS delivery of my first child, I was coughing so hard that night that I almost jump. I was holding my abdomen because it is seems like dribbling because my cough was too strong.  That night I felt the sharp pain.  The next morning I had bleeding.  And I was diagnosed with placenta abruptio.

My Doctor recommended that I must stay in the hospital to be cared or I will go home but will be on strict bed rest.  Of course I want to go home.  But the next day the bleeding continued so I was confined.  At 11:00-12:00 noon I had an emergency CS.  My baby is at risk if the placenta will continue to detach.  The continuous bleeding proved the continuity of the placenta separating from my uterus.

At the Operating Room:
I was coughing while having the surgery.  I can't stop it.  The Surgeons can't work properly anymore.  The Anesthesiologist made me sleep. 

When I woke up I am already at ICU with no watcher.  I am wondering where my husband could be.  I told myself that maybe he's just too excited with our baby.  But I heard the nurses talking that something went wrong with my baby.  Finally, my husband came to talk to me.  He said that he knows that I knew that God has a plan for all of us.  Our son's condition is not good.  He might die.  I was really crying.  My husband was crying too.  When I was left alone, I prayed and prayed that God will allow me to have my Son.  I do not want to dictate what God has planned.  I do not have the right.  But I let God know my desire to nurture and care for a son.  I asked for his life...

My Baby at Birth


My Baby, Lio Gamaliel suffered from hyaline membrane disease or respiratory distress syndrome. (respiratory distress syndrome premature babies).  There was insufficient production of surfactant due to a premature lungs.  The Doctor said, when he was born, he seemed okay... Then suddenly he had severe chest retractions.  There were Xrays done to diagnose the problem.  Hyaline Membrane Disease severe was confirmed.  He need to have surfactant within 24 hours or else he will die.  There were no surfactant available in the whole region.  A contact informed my husband that a surfactant was available in Manila or Baguio.  Baguio was only two hours away.  Fortunately, my brother was in Baguio and bought the surfactant for about 21-22000 pesos.  At 6:30 am my son received the surfactant.  After 4 hours there were slight mprovement.  The doctor do not want us to hope too much because his condition is severe Hyaline Membrane Disease.


Day 1 - still with Ventilator, Oxygen, Oro gastric tube, with IVF and other machines attached to him













Day 2

under photo therapy to treat physiologic jaundice
(Yellowish staining of the skin and whites of the newborn's eyes (sclerae) by pigment of bile (bilirubin). In newborn babies a degree of jaundice is normal. It is due to the breakdown of red blood cells (which release bilirubin into the blood) and to the immaturity of the newborn's liver (which cannot effectively metabolize the bilirubin and prepare it for excretion into the urine). Normal physiologic jaundice of the newborn typically appears between the 2nd and 5th days of life and clears with time.)
I am confident my baby will survive this.  Our son's situation was serious but my husband really made me laugh when he innocently asked, "Why does our son wear shades?" hehehe  Actually that "shades" is a protection from the photo therapy.

This is the first time I was able to hold him.
  October 26 2008







Day 8 - My baby was weaned from Ventilator







Dayy 17 - My baby survived....  He was ready to leave the hospital... God is great!!!
                He went home with a heplock at his left foot.  He still had intravenous medications.  No
                wonder why Mommy Sha is a nurse.  Mommy was your private nurse!












We love you LIEL (Lio Gamaliel).  Your Dad and I along with Ymarah Chloe were extremely happy that God allowed us to have you.

No comments:

Post a Comment